Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Episode 262 - My Way to the Championship, chapters 1-3

Episode 262: My Way to the Championship, chapters 1-3

Kale strikes me as the type who builds and paints in an enclosed, unventilated room.


When you're reading badfic about a show that's about the fandom of another show, then you know you're in for an interesting (and likely painful) experience. This fic is definitely more of the latter then the former, coming in the form of a moving tale of one man and his love for his plastic robot kit. Throw in a mysterious bum who his mother invited in off the street and allows to walk around the house unsupervised and a fighting tournament that goes out of its way to accommodate the Designated Protagonist and you're beginning to get close to the fun that is My Way to the Championship. So sit back, pull up a tube of model cement and enjoy the show!

Riffers: Dan, Rebecca Bartley, Tsuneo Tateo and Rick R. Mortis
Written by: Zogster and Rick R.

3 comments:

  1. I read your description of the story, wondered what it was about, then asked myself "could it possibly be?" and started into the MSTing itself... and the proof very much got my attention.

    I might be stuck in a bad sort of place at the moment, where a part of me wants to watch the new mecha anime series streaming a bit more often now and another part of me remembers how I would watch discussions on the mecha anime series of just a few years back go sour over a matter of weeks, so that I just sort of cringe back from watching and think dark thoughts... but with Gundam Build Fighters, already in sort of a mood to think it couldn't hurt for a mecha anime series or two to "skew younger" and maybe even bring in "new blood" not convinced all the good stuff was made three decades ago, I played a hunch and found myself quite able to accept and enjoy it. (At the same time, I wasn't exactly going out of my way to see what anyone else thought of it... although when it was all over I was greatly daring and did see there seemed to be some good feelings elsewhere, too.)

    With that said, I can now see how certain things about the show could go a great way towards encouraging fanfic writers to come up with generic new characters overshadowed by their overpowered Mobile Suit models, so I suppose I can't fault the MSTing. It wasn't too negative towards familiar targets anyway (and just perhaps hinted at the original fanfic playing its own favourites), and struck a nice balance between "sure, we know just what you're rambling about" and "absurd responses to absurd names." The responses to the calls for original characters at the end of each chapter were of particular amusement.

    There is something satisfying about seeing a MSTing of "something new," even if is of a series that draws on three and a half decades of stuff. I'm certainly hoping the further instalment that seems promised keeps up the spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I could think of while reading this was that all the times I talked about Warhammer and the 40K miniature games, this must have been how my friends felt when I talked about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure if you're aware, but the link to this MST and another (I think it was chapter 11 or 12 of Delta Invasion) says that the file is in the trash, and that access will soon be lost.

    ReplyDelete